Posted: 24.03.20 at 15:53 by Zola Hargreaves
Western Power Distribution has announced that there has been a power cut recorded in Cowbridge, CF71 and surrounding areas
This means that 673 properties are currently without power due to a High Voltage incident (these incidents tend to be larger, affecting the wider area and could mean your neighbours are off supply too).
They estimate the problem will be resolved by 16:30 on Tuesday 24th March.
In the event of a power cut, WPD will be working to restore the supply to your area as quickly as possible.
However, to ensure your safety and minimise disruption, they advise you to take the following actions:
• Check with neighbours or look at street lights to see if the problem is affecting a wider area or if it may be an issue with fuses within your property.
• Check that the trip switch in your fuse box is in the 'on' position. If it has operated, switch off all of your appliances and attempt to reset the switch to the 'on' position. If it has not operated, please call our 24/7 Contact Centre to report the issue.
• Keep your freezer closed. Depending on the type, they could remain cold if unopened for up to 12 hours. You may also be able to claim for spoilt freezer contents on your home insurance.
• Turn off any sensitive equipment, such as computers, digital media devices and storage or fax machines.
• Keep in contact with neighbours if gas supplies to appliances are unavailable. They may be able to help you by providing gas for cooking and making warm drinks etc.
• Check on vulnerable neighbours (if possible) to ensure they are warm, any medical equipment is working and they have sufficient food and drink supplies.
• Use our 24/7 Contact Centre to inform us of any difficulties you, your family or neighbours may be having. Arrangements can be made with the British Red Cross to provide help to vulnerable people.
• If you are suffering from serious health problems please call the NHS Direct Helpline on 111. In an emergency, please contact your local hospital.